“Infidelity is the most common reason for divorce or separation and it’s difficult to treat in therapy.” Separation or divorce might not be the wisest decision. Changing the focus of the marriage might.

If she were married to a man having the entitlement personality, then she chose a man who would most likely feel entitled to a wife and as many sexual affairs as he wanted. That is a defined personality that affects only 12% of the population. If she instead married a man in the other 88% of the population, she would have no reason to suspect infidelity.

Statistically speaking, in 2016 the lifetime prevalence of extramarital sex was 16.3 percent of American men at midlife. By age 70, that lifetime prevalence increases to 26 percent. The reasons given are low sexual and relationship satisfaction, high sexual desire, and lack of love. Infidelity is the most common reason given for divorce or separation and it’s a difficult issue to treat in therapy.

Infidelity is not as simple as one might think. It is not simply the straying of a spouse. Would it be smart to divorce a husband when it was the wife that caused that cheating? Would it be wiser to change the focus of the marriage? To what?

Lane Stokes is a specialist in helping couples understand the whys of infidelity and the hows of marriage.

Contact Lane at  404-487-1956 before making decisions about infidelity.

Lane A Stokes, LPC  404-487-1956